Love moves us to take care of our family members. We will do what it takes to see that they have whatever they need – physically, emotionally, and financially. But when a loved one becomes incapacitated, you may need legal authority to act for them, take care of them, and manage their affairs. This authority can come in the form of a Guardianship or Conservatorship created by the Probate Court.

gaurdianparUnder Maine probate law, a person is considered incapacitated if he/she is a minor or an adult who lacks sufficient understanding or capacity to make or communicate responsible decisions concerning him/herself. If, prior to becoming incapacitated, the loved one executed a durable power of attorney, that may be all that is needed to manage his/her affairs. However, without a power of attorney and sometimes even with one, a more formal arrangement is needed. You would likely need legal assistance regarding the Court appointment of a Guardian (for the protection of a person) and/or Conservator (for the protection of their assets), and this Probate Court area of law is one of our specialties. We have been successful in Guardianship and Conservatorship cases for adults and minors in Probate Court for 25 years.

We understand the importance of having the security of the law behind you in the care of your loved one. That is why we are happy to navigate the probate process with you, so that you can focus on providing care for those who need you.